The Organization of American States (OAS)/Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission (CICAD)
The Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission (CICAD) was established by the General Assembly of the Organization of American States (OAS) in 1986 as the Western Hemisphere’s policy forum on all aspects of the drug problem. Each member government appoints a high-ranking representative to the Commission, which meets twice a year. CICAD promotes regional cooperation and coordination among the thirty-four OAS member states through action programs, carried out by CICAD’s permanent Secretariat, to:
- Prevent and treat substance abuse;
- Reduce the supply and availability of illicit drugs;
- Strengthen national drug control institutions and machinery;
- Improve firearms and money laundering control laws and practice;
- Develop alternate sources of income for growers of cocoa, poppy, and marijuana;
- Assist member governments to improve their data gathering and analysis on all aspects of the drug issue, and
- Help member states and the hemisphere as a whole measure their progress over time in addressing the drug problem.
CICAD's core mission is to strengthen the human and institutional capabilities and harness the collective energy of its member states to reduce the production, trafficking and use and abuse of drugs in the Americas. CICAD is the OAS agency that:
- Serves as the Western Hemisphere's policy forum on allaspects of the drug problem;
- Fosters multilateral cooperation on drug issues in the Americas;
- Executes action programs to strengthen the capacity of CICAD member states to prevent and treat licit and illicit drug abuse; combat production of illicit drugs, and deny the traffickers their illegal profits;
- Promotes drug-related research, information exchange, specialized training, and technical assistance; and
- Develops and recommends minimum standards for drug-related legislation, treatment, the measurement of both drug consumption and the cost of drugs to society, and drug-control measures, among others.
For more information on The Organization of American States (OAS)/Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission (CICAD) visit: http://www.cicad.oas.org/